January 29, 2009
GOVERNOR BARBOUR ANNOUNCES $60 MILLION IN NEW
HANCOCK COUNTY ‘GROUND ZERO’ PROJECTS
Governor Haley Barbour said today an additional $60 million has been awarded for Hurricane Katrina recovery projects in Hancock County.
The projects compose the second round of funding in the total $200 million 'Ground Zero' Program, which applies specifically in Hancock County, where some of Hurricane Katrina's most serious damage occurred. A total of $145 million in Ground Zero funding has been designated for Hancock County projects so far.
"The Ground Zero program is meeting unique recovery needs in Hancock County through projects identified, prioritized and submitted by the county government and the cities of Waveland and Bay St. Louis," Governor Barbour said. "Local people requested these projects to help restore the county's public services and make the local economy whole again."
The Ground Zero Program is funded through Mississippi's $5.4 billion federally-appropriated Hurricane Katrina recovery package. The package is composed of Community Development Block Grants (CDBG), which are administered through the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Mississippi Development Authority (MDA). All awarded projects have passed HUD's CDBG eligibility requirements.
HUD approved MDA's Ground Zero initiative last summer, paving the way for Hancock County's local leaders to determine local needs and submit proposals to MDA for Ground Zero funding in late 2008.
MDA continues to process Ground Zero project applications submitted by Hancock County officials, with additional award rounds anticipated soon. Today's awards are as follows:
• $1,359,863 - Boys & Girls Club, Bay St. Louis
• $1,000,000 - Athletic Complex Improvements, Bay St. Louis
• $762,549 - Elevated Water Storage Tank Improvements, Bay St. Louis
• $1,395,520 - Historic City Hall Restoration, Bay St. Louis
• $3,000,000 - Longfellow Dr. Improvements, Bay St. Louis
• $264,000 - Annexation Area Drainage System Master Plan, Bay St. Louis
• $1,195,520 - Historic Depot Bldg. Improvements, Hancock County
• $35,000,000 - Highway 603 Expansion, Hancock County
• $349,347 - Clermont Harbor Pier Repair/Improvements, Hancock County
• $1,000,000 - Fire Equipment Replacement as Needed, Hancock County
• $1,300,000 - Hancock East Library, Hancock County
• $2,000,000 - Longfellow Civic Center, Hancock County
• $300,000 - Farmers Market, Waveland
• $2,868,515 - Sanitary Sewer System Improvements West Waveland, Waveland
• $5,000,000 - Municipal Pier, Lighthouse & Harbor Complex, Waveland
• $3,000,000 - Community Center, Waveland
Total Awarded this Phase: $59,795,314