The Governor's Mansion

First occupied in 1842, the Mississippi Governor's Mansion is the second oldest continuously occupied governor's residence in the United States.
Governor's Mansion
In 1975, it was designated a National Historic Landmark, making it at that time one of only two state gubernatorial residences to receive this honor. In January 1833, the Mississippi legislature appropriated funds to build a capitol building and a "suitable house for the Governor." Delayed by a serious depression caused by the Panic of 1837, construction of the Governor's Mansion was not begun until 1839, the same year that the Capitol building was completed. In January 1842, Governor Tilghman Tucker and his family moved into the Mansion, which had been constructed for a cost of approximately $50,000.00.

Both the Capitol building (Old Capitol) and the Governor's Mansion were designed by architect William Nichols (1780-1853), a native of Bath, England. William Nichols designed the Mansion in the period's most popular architectural style: Greek ReBack Rose Parlorvival.

The Rose Parlor

Architectural historians consider the Mississippi Governor's Mansion to be one of the finest surviving examples of the Greek Revival style in the United States.

The Rose Parlor is adorned in the decorative Empire style. The parlor is filled with fine antique furnishings, including an octagonal pedestal table and four gondole chairs with unusual carved swan heads at the junction of the stiles and seat rails.

State Dining Room
State Dining Room

With its mahogany dining table which seats 16 and magnificent 12-light chandelier, the dining room has welcomed distinguished Mississippians, national figures, foreign dignitaries, and the King and Queen of Spain.