Governor Barbour Forms Burn Victim Advisory Group
(Jackson, Miss.) Governor Haley Barbour today named the state’s top health care official, leading doctors and burn experts to serve on an advisory group he has formed to make recommendations concerning the treatment of burn victims in Mississippi.
The state’s only burn center, located in Greenville, has stopped receiving patients and announced it will close its doors July 31, 2005, due to a lack of specialists and financial problems. The 33-year-old center treats approximately 250 patients annually.
“Given the current situation, we must focus our state’s efforts on deciding on the best way to provide care for Mississippians who are tragically burned,” said Governor Barbour. “This is a critical health care issue for hundreds of Mississippians and their families each year, and I appreciate these health care experts for contributing their medical expertise to helping our state find the right solution.”
Commission members represent several areas of the state and include:
• Dr. Brian Amy, Chairman, State Health Officer, Mississippi Department of Health;
• Dr. Robert T. Love, Jr., plastic surgeon, Director, Delta Burn Center, Greenville;
• Dr. Dan Jones, Vice Chancellor, University of Mississippi Medical Center;
-- continue --
• Dr. Michael G. Kanosky, plastic surgeon, President, Mississippi State Chapter American College of Surgeons, Flowood;
• Dr. Michael E. Moses, general surgeon, Gulfport;
• Dr. W. Briggs Hopson, Jr., general surgeon, Vicksburg; and
• Dr. Wallace Conerly, Vice Chancellor Emeritus for Health Affairs, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson.
“As State Health Officer, I am deeply committed to burn injury prevention and the care of Mississippians who suffer traumatic injuries. On behalf of my colleagues and myself, we appreciate Governor Barbour’s confidence and welcome the opportunity to work on a strategy for sustainable solutions that address trauma in Mississippi,” said Dr. Brian Amy. Amy said the panel would begin their work next week.
Governor Haley Barbour
P.O. Box 139 Jackson, MS 39205
Phone: 601.359.3150 Fax: 601.359.3741