|Super Easy Side Dish, Carmelized Onion Cornbread Dressing
11/4/2014 3:28:53 PM
By Janet Tharpe
Complete your Thanksgiving menu with Heather McDaniel-Adair’s Caramelized Onion Cornbread Dressing. Sweet cornbread with zesty sausage makes this a delighful departure from other more traditional dressings. And, you can make this ahead of time! Perfect for the busy day.
See step-by-step photos of Heather’s recipe plus thousands more from home cooks nationwide at:
You’ll also find a meal planner, coupons and chances to win! Enjoy and remember, use “just a pinch”...
“I never have leftovers!”
- Heather McDaniel-Adair, Pensacola, FL (Pop. 51,923)
What You Need
2 boxes cornbread mix
2 medium chicken pieces (cooked and shredded) or 2 links mild Italian sausage, plus 1 link hot Italian sausage (casing removed and cooked)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3-4 c chicken stock
2 medium onions (diced)
1-2 tbsp dried sage
4-6 Tbsp butter
• Make cornbread according to package directions. Crumble.
• Once cornbread baked, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using butter or extra virgin olive oil (I use both), saute diced onions in medium to large saucepan until dark brown.
• Pour into greased 9x13 baking dish. Add crumbled cornbread, cooked meat of choice and sage.
• In medium bowl, whisk together soup and 1c chicken broth. Pour over cornbread mixture. Toss until well combined.
• Pour remaining stock over dressing mixture, stirring until completely moistened. Bake for 30 minutes.
• Optional: Top w/ 4-6 tbsp butter during last few minutes of baking.
© 2011 Just A Pinch Recipe Club.
Brought to you by American Hometown Media
Used by Permission.