10/28/2014 11:18:14 AM
TORRANCE, CA -- Students, alumni and fans of America's Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) cast their votes online and took to social media to help their favorite marching bands advance to the 13th annual Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase. The final eight bands have been selected and will take the Georgia Dome by storm on January 24, 2015, when they showcase their incredible musical talent and electrifying showmanship in front of a packed crowd in Atlanta, GA.
The following eight bands will perform at the 13th Annual Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase:
- Alabama State University, Mighty Marching Hornets (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Bethune-Cookman University, Marching Wildcats (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Howard University, Showtime Marching Band (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference); performing at Honda Battle of the Bands for the first time
- Jackson State University, Sonic Boom of the South (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- North Carolina A&T University, Blue and Gold Marching Machine (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Southern University, Human Jukebox (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Talladega College, Marching Tornado Band (Gulf Coast Athletic Conference); performing at Honda Battle of the Bands for the first time
- Tennessee State University, Aristocrat of Bands (Ohio Valley Conference)
Tickets to the Honda Battle of the Bands are available for purchase now on the official website, starting at just $10. The participating eight HBCUs will receive a $20,000 grant from Honda to support their music education programs, plus travel to and accommodations in Atlanta for the Invitational Showcase. The final eight were selected through a process that included online fan voting, as well as feedback from band directors, HBCU school presidents and representatives from American Honda.
This year's theme, "March On," serves as a reminder to students and fans that life on and off the field is a journey, and no matter the challenge, the dream or what may lie ahead, learning never stops as long as you commit to "March On."
"Honda congratulates the eight bands selected to participate in the Invitational Showcase and thanks all of the schools, students, alumni and fans that participated in the process leading to Atlanta," said Stephan Morikawa, Assistant Vice President, Corporate Community Relations, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "Honda is committed to supporting education at HBCUs by investing in their programs and providing a platform aimed at helping students realize what Honda calls The Power of Dreams."
The 2015 Invitational Showcase will feature the first-ever Honda Battle of the Bands Power of Dreams Award. Participating teams and fans will have the opportunity to nominate an outstanding member of their community who is working to help students achieve their dreams. Honda will then select a winner who will be recognized in Atlanta at the 2015 Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase.
For updates, follow the Honda Battle of the Bands and join the social media conversation using #HBOB.
- Facebook – Facebook.com/HondaBattleoftheBands
- Twitter – @The_Honda / Twitter.com/The_Honda
- Instagram – @The_Honda / Instagram.com/the_honda
- YouTube - YouTube.com/hondabotb
For more information on the 2015 Honda Battle of the Bands, visit HondaBattleoftheBands.com.