Hartsville Native Michael Harriot Inks Seven Figure Publishing Deal with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Michael Harriot

Hartsville native Michael Harriot has inked a two-book, seven figure deal with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Senior writer at The Root, Harriot regularly educates on the links between American history and racism. An NABJ and NYABJ award winner and one of The Root’s shining stars, he reminds us often that “his pen is mightier than your sword”.

Senior Editor at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Kate Napolitano, said “Michael Harriot is a singular writer, someone whose work is both deeply thoughtful and sharply humorous. When his proposal first landed, I felt like an electric shock was running through me—this guy was going for it, winging for the fences. In an industry that has historically been insular, elitist, and majority white, we need more writers like Harriot.”

Inspired to write by his mother, Dorothy, who is legally blind, Harriot published is first novel, “The Situation in South Carolina” in 2008 to critical acclaim.

Michael Harriot is the son of Hartsville native, Dorothy Harriot, and a graduate of Hartsville High School. He received his BA degree from Auburn University and MIBA from Florida State University.

1. Leslie Williams Jerman on December 18, 2019 at 2:48 am

Congratulations and much success, Michael!

2. Ann Braboy Kennedy on December 18, 2019 at 10:06 am

I love this. I am a native of South Carolina myself and I’m very interested in publishing a book that I have been working on for two years it is finished and it’s about living in the small town of Marion South Carolina with a father who was a bootlegger and that’s a lot of money in this but it’s all true his job was many he wore a lot of hats in the neighborhood it was a good life it was a fun life it was a jailhouse life it was my life and I wouldn’t change it for anything in the world if you are interested please contact me at my email address I have not tried to publish this book with anyone else because I was afraid of people taking my material and doing what they want with it but just knowing that someone close in my area has published with this publisher makes me feel a little more relaxed and I think I can trust them I feel like I can trust that person that company so please give me I hit back on my email account and let’s see what happens

3. Ann Braboy Kennedy on December 18, 2019 at 11:15 am

I’m interested in publishing my book I’ve worked on it for two years and I’m a native of South Carolina myself from the small town of Marion South Carolina about 60 miles from Myrtle Beach and I have two years invested in this book it’s all true just a character’s names have been changed it’s a long history it’s a little comedy and is some sadness but it was my childhood my upbringing my life we were in jail sometimes me also as a child sitting up in jail on my daddy’s knee but it was all good if you’re interested email me back at the email address given James Kennedy 2010 at gmail.com knowing that you published someone from the Hartsville area makes me feel comfortable I’ve not tried publishing this with anybody else but I was always interested but this makes me feel comfortable and more trusting thank you for your interest

4. Sheila Joint on December 18, 2019 at 1:31 pm

I knew Michael when he lived in Darlington, S.C. I was a journalist at the time and I would often walk down to his office to pick his brain. Very smart young man and I am so proud of him. His mother, Dorothy is a near and dear friend to my family. Young brother: Keep on keeping on!

5. Garry V CAPERS on December 19, 2019 at 8:36 am

I grew up with Michael and his family. Even back in the 20th century, Michael displayed a burgeoning talent. That like of a seed in the ground finally breaking the soil and flourishing,,his coming to fruition has only just begun to be recognized and acknowledged. Sit back, hold, on tight, This is a”mighty might”.

6. Sameka on December 21, 2019 at 9:57 pm

Michael’s work is amazing and I’m so happy for him. Well deserved!

7. Chris Jacobs on December 31, 2019 at 8:27 am

Grew up in Hartsville and it’s great to see someone from my hometown doing fantastic.
    Congratulations Michael!

8. Luethel and Lisa McNeill on January 1, 2020 at 12:06 pm

Congratulations!!!!!. My prayers are for God’s continued abundant blessings in your life.

Love,