School starts this week for most Lowcountry students and Roper St. Francis Healthcare is urging parents and kids to prepare by making sure vaccines are up to date and adopting healthy practices that will make starting school easier.
Healthy back to school tips
- Vaccines: Make sure kids are up to date, click here for SC school requirements.
- Bed time: have kids start an earlier sleep pattern before school starts so they’re ready.
- Viruses: back to school means kids are back together and a spike in viruses and infections
- Emphasize handwashing and packing hand sanitizer in a lunch box and back pack.
- Good nutrition: cut out junk food and increase fruit/vegetable servings now to start good lunch habits.
- Mental health: talk to kids about the new school year and what challenges they may face with new classroom environments, bullying and peer pressure.
- Athletes: nagging summer injuries can quickly get worse in fall sports – talk with a trainer or doctor before the Fall season begins.
- Good vision: an annual vision test, which can be part of a yearly doctor visit, can help spot problems before they get worse.