The National Park Service recently announced the listing of seven South Carolina historical sites in the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register of Historic Places, a division of the National Park Service, is the official repository of the Nation’s historic sites and structures deemed worthy of preservation. A product of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register includes more than 90,000 sites in the United States.
Recently listed properties in South Carolina include:
- Campbell Chapel AME Church, Beaufort County – Campbell Chapel AME Church in Bluffton is significant for its associations with the local African American community during Reconstruction and its immediate aftermath in the late 19th century. The Greek Revival building was constructed in 1853 for a white Methodist congregation and acquired by nine freedmen of the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) church in 1874. The new congregation immediately made several changes to the building and it largely retains its c. 1874 appearance. The church served a vital role in Bluffton’s African American community in the late 19th century, offering a place for formerly enslaved people to freely worship, receive an education, and create a community.
- Faber House, Charleston County – The Faber House is a three-story Early Classical Revival mansion in the East Side neighborhood of Charleston. The house, built between 1834 and 1840, is an excellent example of Palladian architecture, incorporating design elements such as strict symmetry, a soaring portico with pediment roof, Classical architectural detailing, and use of the Greek orders. The antebellum mansion was converted into a hotel in the early 20th century. From 1920 to 1932 it operated as the Hametic Hotel, one of the only African American hotels in Charleston at the time. The hotel catered to black travelers and met the community’s needs for social spaces during Jim Crow segregation.
- Giovanni Sottile House, Charleston County – The Giovanni Sottile House is an early 19th century four-story brick masonry house in Charleston that was remodeled in the Italianate and Italian Renaissance styles in 1867 and 1905, respectively. The house retains numerous high style architectural features from its Italianate and Italian Renaissance remodels, including parquet and marquetry wood flooring, decorative plaster, trim work, and Italian marble mantelpieces. The house is an excellent example of residential Italianate and Italian Renaissance styles in Charleston, applied to the vernacular dwelling form known as the Charleston single house. The 1905 renovations occurred under the ownership of Giovanni Sottile, the Italian consular agent to Charleston, who lived at the home from 1905 to 1913. Sottile was an advocate for the Italian community of North Carolina and South Carolina and an active statesman who used the Sottile House to entertain Italian dignitaries and local politicians.
- Woodlawn, Florence County – Completed in 1960 and expanded in 1965 and 1967, Woodlawn is a two-story single-family home in the town of Quinby. The house is a late landmark example of Colonial Revival and Neoclassical architecture. These styles were originally popular among Gilded Age elites, but elaborate, high style examples such as Woodlawn were uncommon by the middle of the twentieth century. The owner, Charles Mitchell, built the home to showcase the products of his Driwood Moulding Company. The property consists of a residential wing, ballroom wing, and guest wing that intersect to form a central courtyard. The home’s interior displays numerous heavily carved wood moldings in a variety of motifs. The exterior is heavily influenced by Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, while interiors, especially in the ballroom wing, are based on the architectural precedent established by John Ringling’s Ca’ d’Zan and Henry Flagler’s Whitehall in Florida.
- Tawana Motel, Horry County – The Tawana Motel, later known as the Holiday Shores Motel, was constructed in 1965-1966 in Myrtle Beach. It is significant for its association with the city’s mid-twentieth century rise as a tourist destination and as a locally significant example of Populuxe architecture. The motel’s design is characteristic of the International Style. The use of storefront-style windows on the interior elevations gives ample natural light to the guest rooms and invites the landscaped courtyard to come inside the rooms, following the tenets of Modernism. The motel utilizes its position on the corner to be highly visible to passing motorists on the busy thoroughfare of Ocean Boulevard. There, it and similarly affordable, family-owned motels helped expand popular access to leisure and recreation, undergirding Myrtle Beach’s modern tourism industry.
- Five Points Historic District, Richland County – The Five Points Historic District is a commercial area in downtown Columbia developed in the early-twentieth century to serve as a retail town center for white residential suburbs located on what was then the city’s southeastern edge. It is significant for its association with commerce and community planning and development. Two star-shaped, five-point intersections give the town center its name. Following extensive infrastructure that improved the land’s drainage and accessibility, the district’s eighty-two resources were almost all built between 1919 and 1967. Harden Street acts as the district’s spine with blocks of commercial development stretching off along College Street, Greene Street, Devine Street, Santee Avenue, and Saluda Avenue.
- Dr. Cyril O. Spann Medical Office, Richland County – The Dr. Cyril O. Spann Medical Office is a small, one-story building located in Columbia’s historically African American Waverly neighborhood. It is significant for its association with the history of segregated healthcare facilities in Columbia and with Dr. Cyril O. Spann, a civil rights activist believed to have been the only black surgeon in South Carolina in the 1960s and early ‘70s. The building is of simple, Modern design typical of the early 1960s, and it served as Spann’s office from its 1963 construction until Spann’s death in 1979. It is located near the former Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital, a black hospital established in 1952 where Spann served as chief of staff from 1966 until the hospital’s closure in 1973. Unlike the segregated hospital wings and waiting rooms that typically greeted black patients seeking care, Dr. Spann’s office was one created by and for African Americans. A distinctly modern, purpose-built doctor’s office, Spann’s practice marked a shift from earlier African American doctors’ offices in Columbia, which were often located in residences or re-purposed buildings.