Black Owned Bookstore To Open In Goose Creek

VaLinda Miller

A new independent bookstore is coming to the Charleston area. The Turning Page Bookshop in Goose Creek is opening its doors on Saturday, June 1, 2019 with a Grand Opening Celebration.

Not only this will be one of the few independent owned bookstores in the Charleston area, it will be only the second African American owned bookstore in South Carolina, following Malcolm X Center for Self Determination in Greenville.

VaLinda Miller, who previously owned The Booksmith in Seneca, decided to move the business closer to her Goose Creek home. Miller said she was sad to leave Seneca behind, but is excited for the new adventure.

“Goose Creek is growing fast, and I want to be part of the mixtures of imagination by showing the world that we are more than readers and support our small businesses,” Miller said. “We are what a diverse community can do and do well.”

The bookstore will be selling new books, including Bibles, Christian fiction, African-American books and Young Adult books. They will be serving coffee and will provide a relaxing space for book lovers and others a place to read books.

The Grand Opening Celebration will give an opportunity for book lovers to get free gifts and win door prizes. Charleston author John Stamp will be doing a signing for his books “Brother’s Keeper,” “Spoilers,” and “Shattered Circle”. The celebration will be held from 10 am to 3 pm.

In the future there will be more events, including book signings from local and South Carolina authors, book club discussions and children’s events.

Turning Page Bookshop is located on 216 St. James Avenue, Unit F. Hours are from 10 am to 7 pm Monday through Thursday and 10 am to 8 pm Fridays and Saturdays. For more information, call 843-501-7223 or email at info@turningpagebookshop.com. You may also visit the website at www.turningpagebookshop.com.

1. Samuel Davis on May 26, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Welcome to the Creek,the community is happy to have you here. Bring your crab fingers, we will provide the oyster knives and hot sauce. Samuel ( been ya ).

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:22 pm

Thank You so much for your support and oysters.

2. Aletia Ancrum on May 27, 2019 at 6:44 am

Looking forward to shopping here with my Grandchildren.

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:23 pm

Thank You. We have a children’s room for them to enjoy

3. Paul D. Jeffers on May 27, 2019 at 7:24 am

I would hope you would use this opportunity to start a reading program, that would help teach our local children to read! I bring young children to our church to teach them the Bible and what I find is our children can not read! I am not talking about slow reading. Some have not even been thought to sound out a word! Books and reading will change our life! Help our kids.

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:28 pm

Mr. Jeffers, that is one of my goals. We already have three people who are going to start a monthly reading session at the store. Please join us when you have the time. You may have some ideals we can use. Announcements will be posted in social media. Thank you

4. Michelle Dangerfield on May 27, 2019 at 8:02 am

This is exciting! I am an avid book reader and love to read African American culture books! I hopi g you will have some local recipes books maybe?

• Martinique on May 27, 2019 at 1:46 pm

Hi Michelle I would love to invite you to subscribe to my YouTube channel: MartiniqueTheStoryteller, https://bit.ly/2J4WkZQ. On my channel I have a show called Authors to Know and Their Books to Read. I interview authors so viewers can learn more about their published books. I also have a virtual book club called Sip N’ Read w/ Martinique that I would love for you to check out as well. My shows can be viewed live on my Facebook page, Martinique Y. Brown. If you send me a friend request you will be notified of my shows. Take care.

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Ms. Dangefield, yes, we will have those types of books. We also have a cooking section. Thank You

5. Marilyn Wade on May 27, 2019 at 8:31 am

So happy you decided to join our growing city. Welcome!

6. Felicia Stevenson on May 27, 2019 at 8:39 am

Good Morning,
    I am reaching out to you to inquire about an opportunity to utilize your place of business for a book signing, if that is something you offer to the community. If so, what is the protocol? Thank you for your attention in the matter.

• Martinique on May 27, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Hi Felicia I would love to feature your book on my web show Authors to Know and Their Books to Read. If you are interested in learning more please email me at RJSpecialistsForYou@gmail.com or send me a Facebook message at Martinique Y. Brown. I look forward to hearing from you.

• Joanne Roddy on May 28, 2019 at 1:57 pm

Good luck because my husband and I had a black owned bookstore on rivers ave, due to the lack of our people support or the fact that we don’t read we closed. Be blessed

• VaLinda Miller on June 4, 2019 at 11:20 am

Ms. Roddy,
        I’m sorry to hear that, but I would be interested in talking with you.
        I’ve in in Charleston since 2003 and it would help me to have someone who has done it before.
        Thanks
        VaLinda

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:32 pm

Felicia, Yes, we will be having author signings.
      Please send us your email address and we will send you the form. Thank You

7. Rosemary Smalls on May 27, 2019 at 8:42 am

Congratulations and welcome to Goose Creek!

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:32 pm

Thank You so much.

8. Johnathan H Bellinger on May 27, 2019 at 9:30 am

Welcome, welcome,welcome will be more than glad to meet you as well as patronize your business.

• Martinique on May 27, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Hi Johnathan I would love to invite you to subscribe to my YouTube channel: MartiniqueTheStoryteller, https://bit.ly/2J4WkZQ. On my channel I have a show called Authors to Know and Their Books to Read. I interview authors so viewers can learn more about their published books. I also have a virtual book club called Sip N’ Read w/ Martinique that I would love for you to check out as well. My shows can be viewed live on my Facebook page, Martinique Y. Brown. If you send me a friend request you will be notified of my shows. Take care.

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:33 pm

9. Salley Palmer on May 27, 2019 at 10:28 am

Welcome to Goose Creek. Looking forward to the grand opening Saturday.

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:33 pm

10. Marcia Hawkins on May 27, 2019 at 11:16 am

Congratulations Valinda

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:34 pm

Thank You Marcia.

11. Laura Garner on May 27, 2019 at 12:15 pm

From one book lover to another, welcome to Goose Creek. I look forward to shopping with you.

• Martinique on May 27, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Hi Laura I would love to invite you to subscribe to my YouTube channel: MartiniqueTheStoryteller, https://bit.ly/2J4WkZQ. On my channel I have a show called Authors to Know and Their Books to Read. I interview authors so viewers can learn more about their published books. I also have a virtual book club called Sip N’ Read w/ Martinique that I would love for you to check out as well. My shows can be viewed live on my Facebook page, Martinique Y. Brown. If you send me a friend request you will be notified of my shows. Take care.

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Thank You so much for being a bookworm like
      myself.

12. Donna James on May 27, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Congratulations on your new location to showcase and share our heritage. Blessings to you on your opening and I look happy to seeing you.

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:35 pm

13. Anthony Moore on May 27, 2019 at 5:55 pm

Hi my name is Anthony Moore the author of the children book called the sandbox kids, looking forward to supporting this awesome book store in anyway I can see you real soon!

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Thank You and I hope we see your book in our store real soon. Please contact us

14. Rhonda M Nain on May 28, 2019 at 12:00 pm

Awesome!

15. Ruth Bridges on May 28, 2019 at 6:53 pm

This is great news. Wishing you lots of success. Will you be selling books online from your website? What is the address?

16. Sally Sue Lavigne on May 29, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Welcome to the Southern Booksellers community. Congratulations and much success!

17. Jondalyn on May 29, 2019 at 9:22 pm

Congratulations!!! Looking forward to having you in the area. I am a published author and would love to speak with you about having my book placed there. As well as having a book signing

18. Ti Greene on May 31, 2019 at 2:59 am

Congratulations! Sending you nothing but love and blessings as you celebrate your grand opening this weekend! ❤️

19. Gloria Edwards on June 1, 2019 at 9:48 am

Congratulations! May GOD continue to Bless you.
    LIVE your Vision !!

20. Cleo Brown on June 1, 2019 at 8:13 pm

Congratulations to Ms. Valinda Miller! I met Ms. Miller some years ago and the thing I remember most about her was her passion for books and for reading. I hope the community will support this new busines and help make it a success.

• VALINDA MILLER on June 3, 2019 at 6:37 pm

21. theauntsavant on June 4, 2019 at 11:41 am

Congrats on the new bookstore! Just what we need. Can’t wait to visit.