SC African American History Calendar March 2019 Honoree: Lottie Gibson

Lottie Gibson

For more than 60 years, Lottie Gibson was a one-woman crusader for Greenville’s poor and disenfranchised. Gibson was an outspoken social activist, widely known and respected for her work with families who were homeless and bereaved. She cut through the red tape to provide human and material resources for the sick, unemployed, imprisoned and other citizens in need. A voice for the voiceless, she was always accessible no matter the day, time or weather.

Known as a pioneer in all areas of human relations, Gibson worked for many civic and educational organizations on the local, state and national levels to promote economic and social equality. She served as chairperson for the Board of Directors of Sunbelt Human Advancement Resources, Inc., a Life Member of the NAACP and an active member with its Greenville branch. Gibson was also a founding member of the Democratic Women of Greenville County, and a charter member of the Epsilon Tau Omega chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. She served on the Personnel and Program Committee for the SC Council of Educational Opportunity Program, and the United Way of Greenville County Community Planning Council. She also played a vital role in the fight to recognize Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday as a holiday in Greenville County.

Gibson was employed at Greenville Technical College, where she served as the college’s first Director of Federal TRIO Programs for disadvantaged students and directed Student Support Services. In addition, Gibson represented District 25 on the Greenville County Council for more than 25 years. While there, she served on the Planning and Development Committee, Public Safety & Human Services Committee and was a liaison for the County Council to the Drug and Alcohol Abuse Commission.

Gibson received numerous public awards, recognitions and citations, including the prestigious Jefferson Award for her service to humanity. The Phoenix Center named the Lottie Beal Gibson Center of Excellence in her honor because of her endless advocacy efforts for people who struggle with addiction and substance abuse.

1. Kimberly Sullivan on March 4, 2019 at 7:32 pm

Beautiful soul. Like a second mom to many. I could write a book on how many times she came to my rescue. Loved fighting hard for all . I love her so much. I thank God that I was blessed to know her and be acquainted with her for over 40 years. True pioneer.

• Me too im speechless but so grateful. God rest her soul. Amen on March 5, 2019 at 12:48 am

LOVE YOU LOTTIE!

• Me too im speechless but so grateful. God rest her soul. Amen on March 5, 2019 at 12:50 am

Im clean and sober for ever thanks to you lottie. See you aroundthe mountain and on the other side.

• Boris frasier on March 5, 2019 at 6:23 pm

Miss lottie was always there for us that couldnt be there for ourselves.she was there me me on several occasions
          She is one of the reasons that my life is on track now.thank you miss lottie. Rest in heaven

2. Jackie Norman on March 4, 2019 at 8:49 pm

I was able to be a part of both Mrs.Lottie and Dr.Gibson. I was growing up in the era that I was able to see them working at what looked like they enjoyed being part of. Working with a people that wanted to move forward into the future. Mrs.Gibson never lost a beat to stand up for what she believed to be the best for the black peoples all across South Carolina. She is missed but never will be forgotten. Forever Love and missed

3. martha d dixon on March 5, 2019 at 1:21 am

My home girl big sister my everthing from greenville sc .thanks

4. Andreana on March 5, 2019 at 3:46 am

True facts no person who ever encountered her will never forget her I personally got to know her and to know her is to love her I will never forget her as long as i live long live Lottie Beal Gibson

5. Brenda TReid on March 5, 2019 at 1:32 pm

May My Our Auntie Lottie Beal Gibson , CONTINUE TO REST IN HEAVENLY PARADISE STILL SENDING BLESSINGS TO ALL OUR FAMILIES, CAUSE AUNTIE LOTTIE DEFINITELY FOR SURE SURE PUT ME UP IN PRAYER AND I KNOW THAT SHE WAS PROUD OF ME FROM HER OWN MOUTH ????… YESS AS WELL AS ALL OUR OUTSTANDING FAMILY MEMBERS THAT ARE IN HEAVENLY PARADISE , YESSS WE ARE MORE PROUD OF YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR OUR SOCIETY… NEED NOT SAY MORE GOD BLESS YOU & ALL OF OUR GREAT MEMORIES…RIP ????????????????

6. Loved you like my on mother, always the Angel. I thank God that i got to know you and spend some precious moments around you, and your best friend Mrs. Jones. I know that you are together again in Heaven. on March 6, 2019 at 3:35 am

Loved you like my own mother,
    always made me smile, when i would run into you at G’Tech, or, County Council.
    Or visiting with your friend Mrs. Jones, i know that you are together again in heaven.
    R. I. H

7. Leola Robinson on March 9, 2019 at 4:25 pm

We miss her strong, caring and persuasive leadership in Greenville. She was not afraid to speak truth to the powers that be. Rest In Peace.