Charleston County Public Library (CCPL) is joining the nation in celebrating the National Education Association’s (NEA) 21st annual Read Across America event. Several library branches will host celebrity readers during events scheduled Feb. 28, and March 1, 4 and 5.
Read Across America celebrates Dr. Seuss’ birthday and the joy of reading. More than 45 million readers of all ages are expected to pick up a book and read during associated events held nationwide March 2.
To honor the good doctor and celebrate the fun and value of reading, CCPL is asking patrons to join NEA and many of America’s leading literacy, youth and civic groups in bringing a nation of readers together under one hat – the red and white stovepipe made famous by the Cat in the Hat – for a flurry of reading excitement!
Check out the schedule of CCPL events listed below, and get ready to enjoy listening to Dr. Seuss favorites as we celebrate his birthday with local celebrities:
Thursday, Feb. 28:
· Mt. Pleasant Library at 10:30 a.m. with News Anchor Dean Stephens of ABC News 4 (WCIV-TV)
Friday, March 1:
· Main Library at 9:30 a.m. with Charlie the RiverDog, News Anchor Raphael James of Live 5 News (WCSC-TV), and CCPL Board Vice-Chair Susan Strunk
· Cooper River Memorial Library at 10:30 a.m. with Meteorologist Rob Fowler (WCBD-TV)
· Dart Library at 10:30 a.m. with News Anchor Carolyn Murray of Count on 2 News (WCBD-TV) and North Charleston Fire Department Battalion Chief Eric Phillips
· Dorchester Road Library at 10:30 a.m. with North Charleston Police Department Assistant Chief of Police David Cheatle
· James Island Library at 10:30 a.m. with Sports Anchor Scott Eisberg and Traffic Anchor Trooper Bob Beres of ABC News 4 (WCIV-TV)
· John’s Island Library at 10:30 a.m. with St. Johns Fire Department Captain Stephen Mantie
· West Ashley Library at 10:30 a.m. with Charleston Police Department Chief Luther Reynolds
· Otranto Road Library at 10:30 a.m. with a firefighter from the North Charleston Fire Department
· Poe/Sullivan’s Island Library at 10:30 a.m. with Sullivan’s Island Mayor Pat O’Neil
· Village Library at 11 a.m. with former Mount Pleasant Fire Chief Herb Williams
· Hurd/St. Andrews Library at 11 a.m. with Marcus Amaker, City of Charleston Poet Laureate
· McClellanville Library at 3:30 p.m. with Sheriff Al Cannon
Monday, March 4:
· Folly Beach Library at 10:30 a.m. with Folly Beach Mayor Tim Goodwin
Tuesday, March 5:
· St. Paul’s/Hollywood Library at 10:30 a.m. – Join a special storytime celebration!
For more information about NEA’s Read Across America, visit www.nea.org/readacross, and check out www.readacrossamerica.org to learn about other reading celebrations taking place from coast to coast.
The National Education Association is the nation’s largest professional employee organization, representing 3.2 million elementary and secondary teachers, college faculty, school administrators, education support professionals, retired educators and students preparing to become teachers.
CCPL encourages patrons to share their Read Across America experience by using #RAAchs on social media. Follow CCPL on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram by searching for ChasCoLibrary within those platforms.