SC Education Lottery: Glitch or No Glitch? (What lottery officials are not telling you)

By Beverly Gadson-Birch

Good morning all of y’all lottery players out there.  Boy, have I got some news for you from a reliable source regarding the Christmas Day “Add a Play” lottery glitch.

Before I share the information with you, let’s take a look at the South Carolina lottery’s history.

According to the Daily News Service, the SC Education Lottery was approved by the voters in 2000 and ticket sales began in 2002.  In addition to scratch off tickets, South Carolina currently has Pick 3, Pick 4, Palmetto Cash 5, Powerball, Mega Million and Add-a-Play. Add a play gives players an added chance of winning on the daily games.

I recall former Senator Robert Ford crisscrossing the state trying to sell voters on the benefits of a SC lottery. The naysayers said it was going to negatively impact the poor and they were right.

They said the lottery would benefit the rich. And, again they were right. The lottery was intended to provide scholarships and funds for the state’s educational system.  It was also going to increase SC revenue and jobs while keeping South Carolina dollars in the state.

The lottery has become big business in the state.  Practically everyone gets a bite out of the profits. Just to give you an idea, take a look at the information available on the SC Lottery web page. “In South Carolina, as of 2002, the SCEL had 3,524 retailers statewide. Retailers received a 7 % commission for scratch tickets and online sales. Roughly $23.5 million in sales commissions were paid in FY 2002.

Commissions earned in FY 2003 were $50.7 million.”  That was fifteen years ago.  Just imagine what the commissions are today.

According to the Daily News Service, lottery sales for 2015 were $1,401,700,000 and $1,600,384,426. That’s a whole lot of playing; so, what are the odds of a poor man winning the lottery?

Y’all do know the lottery is a game of chance and the odds of winning are slim to none, but it’s always the chance one is willing to take.  And, as the lottery slogan goes “you have to be in it to win it.”  Now, let’s look at what happened on Christmas Day.

The players were certainly in it, to win it!  Players went to their usual lottery retailer, plunked their hard earned dollars down for a one in a million chance of winning.  It was Christmas and players were feeling kind of lucky.  And, so it was with my “reliable source”.

My “source” is a regular lottery player.  He received three winning Holiday Cash Add-a-Play tickets for $500 each. Excitedly, he handed his tickets to the lottery retailer and was told she did not have enough money on hand. Soon others standing in line realized this must be their lucky day.  The retailer paid some of the winners before saying to the other customers waiting in line “something must be wrong with the machine”.  It’s paying out too much on the Add-a-Play. Oh, so now, it’s paying out too much!! Nothing is ever said when they are “losing too much”.

Lottery officials refer to the “so- called machine malfunction” as a glitch.  Well, what lottery officials aren’t telling the public is during the “so-called” glitch is that not all the tickets were winners; some of the tickets printed during the same “glitch” period were losers.  If the losers lost money, then the winners should have won money. Why couldn’t the “glitch” occur on the side of the loser?  I am sure more players lost that day than won.  If the retailers paid some of the players before the “so-called glitch” was discovered, then the others that didn’t get pay should also receive payment.

Lottery officials need to do what’s right and pay off the other winners.  If some were paid; all need to be paid.  There is no need for the Commission to run up millions more in legal fees. What happened is not the players’ fault.  Y’all got insurance.  Let your insurance company hassle it out with Intralot—the gaming equipment and technology company. The same folks who lottery officials are refusing to pay will be the same folks footing the legal fees as they fork over more money in hopes of striking it rich.

I know y’all didn’t ask me but y’all know I’se got to say it anyhow.  This ain’t about no lottery law as it relates to glitches. It’s about who is on the receiving end of the “glitch”.  It’s poor and minority folks who are always on the losing end.  Most of the money received from the lottery are from poor folks looking to hit it big. And, y’all know who is on the other end of the money poor folk spend playing the lottery: white folk.  If y’all don’t believe me just check and see how much lottery dollars go towards educating black students.   Well now, a little fact history for Black History.

Y’all can “play on South Carolina” if y’all wanna; but, make sure you collect what you are owed. Pssst!  By the way, Lottery officials are meeting in Columbia Wednesday morning at 10:00 AM.  You might want to be there to file a grievance.  I am just saying ……..

1. Shontell Williams on February 7, 2018 at 2:42 pm

I will not play until they pay out i have several non winning tickets. Everyone need to stop playing until they pay

• Deb on February 12, 2018 at 4:27 pm

I agree. They are taking to long.

2. Whitey on February 7, 2018 at 8:18 pm

White folk, huh? I’m waiting on 52k from this little mishap and man could I use it right now… What was this news you had for us?

3. Nancy Mulwee on February 8, 2018 at 12:08 pm

I think they should pay it makes no sense that SC LOTTERY keep telling us to hold the tickets and we still haven’t gotten any money.

4. ESAU GILLISON on February 8, 2018 at 10:03 pm

I was reading the back of my ticket, I just can’t find on my ticket the part about we’re not liable to pay out do to a glitch or malfunction., so it just seems like these tickets are valid.

5. James Cornelius on February 9, 2018 at 7:32 am

To the best of my opinion I think the players should be paid do to the fact retailers have already paid a lot of the winners in they had any knowledge of knowing that their was a internal mechanical problem so some people were paid so I think the lottery official should be responsible for the defect in which the lottery should have been insured in case they maybe such problem that may occur so therefore my judgement is for South Carolina lottery commission to accept and pay potential winners with no exception

6. James Cornelius on February 9, 2018 at 7:33 am

Sc lottery

7. Tasha Walker on February 10, 2018 at 8:45 am

My husband need his money he play faithfully and need to pay faithfully

• Truth on February 12, 2018 at 8:24 am

When the black man ran numbers that shit didn’t happen. Now u let the blue eye devil in things & this is the back lash. The lock us up for tuning numbers. Lock them up for fraud.

• Darlynriley@gmail.com on February 12, 2018 at 8:30 am

When the black man ran numbers that shit was handle. Now u let the BLUE EyEd DeViL in an he fuck u every time. They lock our people up for racketeering. Lock the DeVIl up for swindling.

8. William Ronquest on February 15, 2018 at 6:56 am

What the hell is going on with this ? Why is it taking so long ?

9. Mad lottery player on February 15, 2018 at 11:24 pm

It’s sad that they’re taking this long to pay ppl their money. They don’t realize they’re paying out more by getting the situation investigated. Where all they have to do is pay the ppl. Own up to the mistake n give us our money. It’s not like we rig the machine. It was a mishap now give us our money.

10. Upset about entire lottery situation on February 20, 2018 at 10:33 am

A lot of minority people hit but none of them have the machines to make them payoff what made the winnings go from 19mil to 33mil was whoever controlled the machines at the store that’s what need to be investigated not the ones with the winning tickets!!!

11. Ran on February 21, 2018 at 1:54 pm

I think we have waited long enough not to get any answer I believe it’s time to put the lawyers to work.

12. Ap on March 23, 2018 at 3:29 pm

I think South Carolina lottery laying scL play game for customers

13. Tabbi on March 27, 2018 at 8:50 am

The fact is people paid their money to play, the lottery received their money for us playing, we should get our winnings.

14. Nick on April 1, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Its too long we should go on too the lawyers

15. Jaye on April 5, 2018 at 2:29 pm

I’ve felt all along that the issue is not whether they feel that by law they’re not obligated to pay but rather is who they have to pay. Myself like most people who played that night, was under the assumption that it was a special Christmas bonus pay out for those who took a chance. Therefore we took more chances and bought extra tickets. Who wouldn’t have? The amount of money that they have to pay out is a drop in the bucket. I’m pretty sure they have quadrupled their earnings several times over since that Christmas night. How ironic that on Christmas, a day of giving , that God would see fit to give extra money through the lottery system. To the South Carolina Lottery Commission there is a message in this for you honor it! I see poor people spending their bill money or money necessary to take care of their basic needs just to try to win more money. They are willing to take a chance over and over again only to end up stressed out and suffering while waiting for ther next social security or disability check . God fixed i so on that night that disenfranchised people who spend money on the lottery would finally receive some of their money back. Shame on you SC LOTTERY for making excuses and not making an expedient resolution to this matter. We should not be punished for an error that was not of our doing. Why would the investigation prevent you from paying your customers go ahead and investigate but pay your customers!!! You know what caused the problem. What is there left to investigate?

16. Demetrea Marvella Nelson on April 6, 2018 at 11:58 am

I am one of those winners and I had both winning and losing tickets. I just need to know does anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit and how I can get in on it. I want my $2002. I never play but because I was back in my home town I decided to play. I played at the last minute just before they closed. This is BS!! They are not paying cause they didn’t expect all those poor black folks to win. I WANT MY MONEY!!!