Future Champions Boxing Club Represents Lowcountry Well at Silver Gloves Regionals

Future Champions Boxing Club boxers, coached by Gerard Norton, participated in the the Silver Gloves Regionals Championship, held January 3-6 in Fort Washington, Maryland.

Jaden Shepherd will be advancing to the Nationals held in Independence, Missouri on January 31st through February 4th. She is now Regional Champion of the following states which is Region 3: DC/Maryland, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Jaquez Washington made it to the semi-finals of the Regionals and is now ranked number 3 in the same region. He suffered his first loss, but vowed to come back strong. He’s now back in the gym working hard. Coach Norton believes that Jaden Shepherd has at least a 95% chance of winning the Nationals and come home a United States National Champion. The 5% is due to lack of experience, but the coach feels she will do as well as anyone that’s there.

Either way it goes, Coach Norton is proud of his kids.  They are the reason the gym is doing so well as they put in a lot of hard work and have accomplished so much in such a short time.  There are other kids in the gym that are ready to take that leap and get to their level. These kids are driven for success.

Coach Norton looks forward to the future of his young boxers and is ready to take the boxing world by storm. “United States and World here we come. And Charleston, you are well-represented,” said Coach Norton.

(l-r): Jaquez Washington, Coach Norton & Jaden Shepherd

Leave a Comment